Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Lessons Learned-A Reflection On Entreprenuership and Life in General

Today is just one of those days. Yes, I am aware that it's 1/11/11 but I have a huge to-do list and I am making headway through it quickly yet it just does not feel fast enough.

I have not had coffee, I have 1,000 ideas running through my mind that I should probably write down but don't have time to right now.

But you know what?
I wouldn't have it any other way because I control my day, I control my time....I'm an aspiring entrepreneur and I am happy!

Me and some of my happy entrepreneurial/dream chasing friends. 11/10

Sure, attempting to work for oneself has it's pros and cons. Take starting this blog for example. Here I spent the last year working for an Internet company and thought I had learned enough to launch a blog that would have a great number of pageviews and blast off into successful cyberspace. Here I'd thought to myself "I really get Twitter and have a solid following there for my blog will appeal to people." Wrong! This blog is taking hard work however the effort is worth it to me.

Everyday I continue to learn something new. I have to create a new system, I have to hold myself accountable for my success or failure. I realize the value of my time, of planning, of not taking on too many things at once. More importantly, of continuing to promote myself while working on my dreams and goals so they don't fall by the wayside.

My past experiences and the manner in which I am approaching this blog reflect my growth. I have to get organized, real organized, more organized than I have ever been in my life which means "using my iCal and synching it to my phone" kind of organized so I can account for every minute.

After all this time, I now know my worth. As I explore the possibility of entrepreneurship and try to make a business plan, I know I provide value to the "right" company and the "right" client that sees it. I am not Walmart, I am not Neimans. I am me (and I never thought I'd compare myself to retail stores but a girls gotta do to what a girls gotta do to prove her point, haha).

The Jaclyn Of All Trades Design Collection. Just Kidding.
Designing these (my drawings are on the right) was a fun creative outlet.


I am also a creative person. If I don't have a creative outlet and utilize it, I am not happy (hence why I love Tumblr). Sure, I can sit behind my Mac book all day and crank out a bunch of great tasks for really talented people. But that would not help me fulfill my personal passions. So I need to write, dance, take an Improv comedy class, you get the gist of it.

This is my life. What are you doing with yours? Are you an entrepreneur or just wanting to follow your dream? Are unsure of the next step you need to take to get there?
What makes you want to get out of bed everyday and live? Do you have an attitude of gratitude or is something missing?

Ask yourself these questions then take a step, whatever it may be. Start a blog, take a class, travel somewhere new. You control your outcome, you control your day, you control your life so enjoy it and best of all, be free!!!

3 comments:

  1. Great insights. The ownership mentality that you develop as an entrepreneur is both consuming and energizing. I actually started a blog specifically to motivate others to reach for the American dream. It is amazing the energy you can find that you never knoew you had when you are chasing a dream.
    - Patrick www.phpagencyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting and for sharing your blog. Agreed--consuming, energizing, at times it can be freeing and other times you can feel trapped. Can't wait to gain some insight from you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jaclyn

    Good luck in making the leap into the world of the self-employed. You make a good point about the importance and difficulty of organization as an entrepreneur. That is something that I struggle with everyday. One thing that has helped is making my best effort to write down everything that needs to be done and prioritizing my to do list every morning. Keeps me focused on the most important tasks, but still a challenge. Good blog post.

    ReplyDelete