Friday, January 21, 2011

Feel Good Fridays (Inspired by Dr. Deepak Chopra)

Today, I finally understood the statement "I'm so happy I could cry" because I almost did, 3 times to be precise.

To preface this post, earlier today I was fortunate enough to hear Dr. Deepak Chopra speak on "The Soul of Leadership" courtesy of Step Up Women's Network, and the Drucker Business Forum. As you can imagine, not many people get the opportunity to hear Dr. Deepak Chopra speak in the flesh (let alone thank him personally afterward). 

And yet, in one hour, at least 100 "Angeleno's" were profoundly impacted by what he had to say while I was moved to tears (twice).

Well, what was this emotional advice you may be asking? The following are my cliff's notes versions of Dr. Chopra's great wisdom which impacted me so deeply.
  • Take 5 to 10 minutes every day to focus on your reason for being here, try to visualize and really feel these desires straight from your heart.
  • Speaking of feelings, it is very important to feel your fear. What you resist, persists. DO WHAT YOU FEAR THE MOST.
  • Our "set point for happiness" is determined within the first three years of our lives.
  • A lot of people are spending more than they've earned to buy things they don't need to impress people they don't like. Money isn't the root to happiness.
  • If you had all the money and time in the world, how would you express yourself?
  • Of his experience in teaching at the Kellogg School of Management Dr. Chopra stated, "A lot of students slowly realize that they thought they were "just running businesses". When they review their desires, they want to change the world too." As employees, business owners, entrepreneurs--we can change the world and we should want to.
  • When you start to experience a stimulus that "pushes your buttons" and triggers a resentful response from you STOP, focus on the sensation then do nothing. Whatever the annoyance, it will slowly fade away.
The last bullet point is very true and perhaps the most difficult to execute which is why I cried a third time (in my car, on the drive home, while listening to Neil Diamond).



"I Am...I Said" one of my favorite Neil Diamond jams

You see, over a month ago, I was going through some difficult, personal challenges that really tested my emotional strength. I wanted to react, to be angry, I was upset and very unhappy. It seemed as though every week for at least 8 weeks straight, something difficult would continue to happen building upon the original reason I was upset to begin with. By week 6, I threw my hands up in the air and said, "Ok world, I get it. I need to let go. Until I let go and change my attitude, things will continue to negatively impact me."

The moment I stopped and stood still, the moment I didn't rehash my old wounds was the moment I became free and saw my circumstances in an entirely new light.

I realized the beauty in the flexibility of my new situation. 

I appreciated the opportunity to close a chapter of my life and move forward. 

And I more or less realized that had it not been for those circumstances and changes, I wouldn't have been able to listen to Dr. Deepak Chopra speak on a Friday morning in January, 2011.

So I leave you with this. To those of you going through tough times right now, hold on. Sit still as Dr. Deepak Chopra encourages. Things will get better. Once you make it through the tough times and see the light, you'll be so happy you could cry (and appreciate that statement).

I know I do and I know I am.

Signing off,

Jaclyn M Mullen

No comments:

Post a Comment