Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Commitment in 2011-An Exercise for Inspiration

You see this good looking couple pictured above? They are my grandparents and this past December, I was HONORED to celebrate their 61st wedding anniversary with them.

61 years....that's a long time! How did they do it? How did they manage to stay together? 

Marriage wasn't the most difficult obstacle that my Grandparents had to face. Try fleeing communist Romania, immigrating to Greece, Lebanon and Israel all BEFORE finally making their way to the United States. Thankfully, New York City greeted my grandparents with open arms however, they did not speak English and were in total culture shock.

That did not matter to them. Their challenges were merely a part of life, something they had to deal with and overcome for my grandparents knew the meaning of commitment. 


I can't help but examine this topic. After all, we live in a world of "here one day, gone the next." We live by the principles of the instant gratification generation and have no problems moving on (again and again) whether it be from people, jobs or even our personal aspirations. As entrepreneurs, dreamers and members of society...we can't afford to lack commitment.

By definition, Commitment means: to show loyalty, duty or pledge to something or someone.


Could you commit to something for 61 years? Honestly, I'm not sure if I could but that doesn't mean I won't try. 

What are your commitments? 
When was the last time you asked yourself this question? 
How do you maintain them?

Personally in 2011, I am committed to blogging daily, exercising and reading more often. Aside from identifying these tasks as my commitments, I am also holding myself accountable. Everyday, these 3 things are the most important items on my "to-do" list to ensure I can get them done.


I'm trying to get back my youthful physique. (Jaclyn of All Trades, 3 years old.) 
That's me, smiling and sitting behind the boy hunched forward.  

It also helps that I have an example of commitment right before my eyes. Which is why I have chosen to share this with you! 61 years of marriage for my grandparents....reading, writing and working out for me.

What about YOU??? Could you use a little help in the commitment department?

Write down one thing you are committed to this year. Heck, you can even place it in the comments box on my blog then use this post as a reminder to, "show loyalty, duty or pledge to something or someone".


(Even if that someone is you!) 





No comments:

Post a Comment