Friday, January 14, 2011

If You Blog It, They Won't Come. But That's OK (For Now)

Well......if you read yesterday's post, I have news for you. Maybe the news is more for myself. The term Blogaholic has existed FOR AWHILE. There seem to be some pretty creative people out there online that have beat me to the punch (and that's ok).

A Snapshot of some other Blogaholics Online

Speaking of blogging (while poking a little fun at myself), just because people offline always ask for your opinion or advice does not mean that when you transfer "said advice" and information online, you will automatically have an audience for your Blog. (Are you listening Jaclyn of All Trades???)

And you know what? I am ok with that. Part of this Blogging process for me is experimentation, trial and error, uncovering my audience--which is a good metaphor for life.

This is the heartbeat of my Blog. At least it's alive

None of us should shoot in the dark but how many of us are? You wake up, you go to work, but what do you want out of life? Do you even know? Are you getting what you think you want out of life?

I am guilty as charged, guilty of shooting in the dark. Of having great ideas and aspirations but being "too busy" to really sit down, to slow down and create the action plan necessary to put those ideas into effect. It wasn't until recently that I started the self examination process and began saying to myself "I don't want to shoot in the dark anymore. What do I offer? What am I good at versus what am I passionate about? How do I WANT to spend my life?"

I owe the beginning of this process to the mentor I was paired with through Step Up Women's Network, Nikki Hamedani, who pointed out that there is a distinction between a JOB and a career. Sure, the job pays the bills, puts food in your mouth, it most likely even provides health insurance.

My Step Up mentor and I. Skybar Los Angeles circa August, 2010.

But is that what you dreamt you'd be doing when you were a child? Would you be willing to do your job for FREE if you had to?

These are the questions to ask yourself. What if you already pursue your passion but want to crank if up a notch? Then, I ask you this.
  • What do you define as success?
  • What is your expectation regarding the growth and fruition of your goals?
  • Are you shooting in the dark?
If the answer is yes, at least you are shooting. But take a step back, identify a way for you to obtain tangible facts or answers. For examples sake, I will use my blog. The answers I need to "shoot in the light" come in the form of page views, key words and traffic sources.

So take it from me-if you blog it, they won't come (at first). But maybe you will learn a thing or two about yourself and how to fine tune. With that information, you can build from there.

If you don't plan it, it won't happen. Take a small step...today. I double dare you.

Signing off,

Jaclyn M Mullen
The Jaclyn of All Trades

Have you started following me on Twitter yet???

No comments:

Post a Comment