Tuesday, November 23, 2010

My Happiness Project--Thank You Gretchen Rubin

Happiness. We all want it but the question is do we all have it? I know for myself that happiness fluctuates depending upon the activities I am performing.

Traveling makes me happy. Writing makes me happy. Singing and dancing make me happy.

Happy Moment Memory 2007-Cafe in Barcelona off Las Ramblas.
This was how they served my cafe' con leche. And...upon receiving it, I smiled.


But other activities I participate in don't have the same "happy factor."

For this very reason, I am embarking on a Happiness Project. Insert footnote here. I am not the first to attempt this. As a matter of fact, New York Times best selling author Gretchen Rubin conducted her own happiness project and published it in her book entitled--you guessed it The Happiness Project.


I now follow Gretchen on Twitter and rather than wait for New Years to begin, my happiness project starts TODAY. Wait, I think it started on Sunday when I read the "Getting Started" section of Gretchen's book.

Gretchen had her own Twelve Commandments for happiness which may or may not work for me. Rather than wait and see, I created my own. Here they are (in no particular order):

12 Commandments of Happiness

Jaclyn Mullen’s Happiness Project

1. Find the humor in EVERYTHING and laugh at yourself OFTEN.
2.
Go with the flow (this one is going to be hard for me)
3. Smile ALWAYS, even when you’ve had a challenging day and don’t feel like it. Smiles are contagious and will make you feel better. Fake it ‘til you make it, right?
4. Dance-in the car, at the library, in my room. Movement improves mood.
5.
Be grateful everyday. Things could always be worse.
6. Stay present. Yesterday has passed; tomorrow has not come. Focus on right now.
7. Do something you love that is different everyday. Karaoke, write, take a Spanish class, play the piano.
8. Cook more. Preparing delicious food provides an appreciation for the meal and the company you enjoy it with.
9. Indulge in some pampering. Massages, manicures, lot's of exercise, more yoga-we all deserve a little weekly TLC.
10. Continue to help others. Everyone is struggling with something so lend a hand and help out.
11. Don’t take it personal-EVER.
12.
Give 100% of what YOU have to give even if you don’t get it in return. At some point, at some time, it will come back to you.

There you have it, my personal 12 commandments for happiness. I am excited to document this project, it could not have come into my life at a better time. Having said that, it's time for me to play Wii with my twelve year old cousin--she brings a tremendous amount of happiness into my life.


If you don't have time to conduct your own happiness project or if you are already happy, you can still get great tips on Happiness from Gretchen via her website: http://www.happiness-project.com

This holiday season, I wish everyone health and happiness.

Signing off,

The Jaclyn of All Trades

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with the book Jaclyn! I had a chance to read it last year and it got me started on the right foot to find myself. I wish you much success and continue to do you! Happy Thanksgiving!

    - Jenn (from Step Up)

    ReplyDelete