Friday, March 4, 2011

"Feel Good Fridays" The Bold and Beautiful Edition...Meet the Big City Siren


It's Friday and you know it feels good to say that. You've worked hard all week, now it's time to celebrate. So, how do you let loose, have fun, laugh out loud? Come on, go ahead and share.

Fun for me entails going where I have never gone before; into a land of spontaneity and letting go of control. Translation…studying stand up comedy. Yes, as you may know from previous blog entries, I am in a stand up comedy class, which is no laughing matter.

Creating comedy material, let alone performing stand up, is not as easy as it seems. It takes a lot of confidence and the willingness to use your life as inspiration.  Just ask Lindsey Gentile, one of NYC's top comediennes who also maintains the blog "Big City Siren."  



The Jaclyn of All Trades got the scoop on this bold and beautiful brunette actress, adventurist and freaking funny lady. Here's our interview, it's a guaranteed fun read. 

Name, age, occupation, name of Blog. Lindsey Gentile, Actor and Sex and the City Tour guide, Big City Siren: men are from mars, women want your penis. 

Inspiration for blog title and content. Big City Siren: I wanted a title that was loud and sexy. Like me and like New York. And also a bit off. Like me and like New York. As for the content, I really decided to start the blog when I was on my way to perform at a comedy show in the east village and a homeless man was literally trying to pee on me.  It was then that I realized, that not only am I going to die alone, but also that New York is truly a unique city and you have to be a certain kind of person to live here. Where else would you see women running in their 4 inch heels to catch a train or hear a girl tell a cabbie to go "Fuck yourself".  We are women who can overcome bed bugs, spend our daily commute smushed up against a smelly armpit that does not belong to us.  We pick our strollers up 98 subway stairs, we endure cat calling, we wait tables, nanny, crunch numbers, sell our souls, and work in cubicles so we can be creative and change the world... We are Big City Sirens. So my blog is dedicated to those super heros.

Give us Lindsey's top 3 tips for surviving the mean streets of New York City. 1. Don't look up or make eye contact.  2. Carry a rape whistle.  3. MUSIC MUSIC MUSIC.... just put that ipod in and get in the zone.   

Just like "Feel Good Fridays" you categorize your days of the week too and have Match Making Mondays. What has been the funniest Match Making Monday post to date? This year, for the Academy Awards, I put out an ad out on Craigslist that I was looking for a man to come over and fan with me with palm fronds and feed me grapes while I watched the Oscars.  I would of course provide the palm fronds, and grapes.  Within 20 minutes I had about 40 emails... and lots of penis pictures. Priceless. A few men wanted to bring their togas, others wanted to know if they were green grapes, seedless, etc. For my top three men, you can check it out here: http://www.bigcitysiren.com/blog/2011/2/28/i-found-love-during-the-oscars.html If you have ANY match making stories please feel free to email me @ lindsey@bigcitysiren.com 

How do you use social media to help your comedy career? Give us a tidbit of wisdom on one social media success and one thing that wasn't so successful. My sister, Jess Jubilee is a successful DJ here in NY and she makes me tweet. She has gained a huge following that way.  I try to tweet when I'm in the street and see a cute guy with bad jeans, or a bed bug infested mattress, or something pops into my head.  For my blog, I tweet, Facebook, DIGG, Reddit, etc.  

For my comedy duo, Kelly and Lindsey (www.kellyandlindsey.com) we rely mostly on Facebook and Youtube.   REMEMBER ALWAYS check and recheck. I co-host a comedy show in the East Village called Back Door Comedy, and I recently made an event on FB and sent it out to hundreds of people.... with my home address, not the bars address.  OOPS.  I basically sent people to my apartment instead of the venue for our show. Thank god most people know where the bar is and over looked it, but we were at the show, and half of our comedians didn't show up.... when they showed up late they told me they were to some place in Hell's Kitchen.  Yup,  my apartment.  

Words of wisdom for aspiring female actresses/comediennes coming to NYC. Girls, ladies...do something everyday for yourself and your career.  Switch things up.  Meet with a million funny women and see what they are doing.  They are not your competition and you can learn from them.  I meet with EVERYone.  Don't get comfortable; don't get stuck in your stupid survival job.  Work really hard. Don't get too high off a high; don't get too low off a low.  Don't have sex with EVERY cute comedian.... just SOME of them. 

 
On that note, if you like what you’ve read here, then be sure to like Big City Siren on FB (http://www.facebook.com/bigcitysiren) and follow Lindsey on twitter!!!! (@bigcitysiren)  


You can also like Kelly and Lindsey on Facebook to get all upcoming info. (http://www.facebook.com/kellyandlindsey)
Upcoming Shows:
3/8 World's Greatest Grandson/ Shayz Lounge in Greenpoint at 9:30pm
3/9 listen to KATG Keith and the Girl PODCAST.  www.keithandthegirl.com at 2pm
3/11 Astoria Brewhouse comedy show at 8:00
3/12 Shoot the Shite comedy show at the Creek and the Cave in Long Island City @ 10pm
3/14 Back Door Comedy (www.kellyandlindsey.com) at Professor Thom's 219 2nd ave between 13 and 14 @8pm
3/28 Back Door Comedy same as above
Spread the laughter and fun this feel good Friday. Be your own Big City Siren in whatever city you so choose. 
Signing off, 
The Jaclyn of All Trades

Contact Me LinkedIn Blogger Tumblr Twitter


Have a funny story yourself? Be sure to add it to the comments section. 

No comments:

Post a Comment