Monday, July 4, 2011

Barbecues, Beaches and Blogs-God Bless America Blog Post


Fourth of July. Independence Day. This year, the birthday of the United States has special meaning to me. 

 Image from WashingtonPost.com

Sure, I’ve always admired the fireworks and festivities. After all, I grew up right outside of our nation’s capital. But this July 4th marks seven months that I have been self employed so today’s Independence Day is really….independent from the previous years.

Today, I want to honor all the workers in our country whether they are entrepreneurs or employed in a 9 to 5 job, whether they work at McDonald's or drive a bus. Each day, they wake up and exercise their right to earn money in this free country, a country where people have given their lives for the mere idea of opportunity.

I want to honor the many people like my grandparents who immigrated to this country in pursuit of the American Dream. As I think of all the stories I've heard over the years, tales of dedication and determination, these words come to mind:

This land is your land, this land is my land
From the Redwood Forest to the Gulf Stream waters
This land was made for you and me.

Today, as we wake up to the red, white and blue, there’s no denying that it’s summertime (and about darn time that I get back to my blog.) As seasons change, so has our country. Many of my friends are now seeking self employment instead of working corporate jobs, technology is allowing everyday citizens to weigh in on the media, we are in an age of innovation. As my business coach Mitchel Groter would say, "If you can conceive it and believe it, then you can achieve it." 

When I launched this blog back in November of last year, I initially viewed it as a passion project to help me get my writing fix while working as a Project Manager. Within a few weeks, it became so much more to me as I started to receive feedback indicating that people were inspired by the content. The positive reinforcement encouraged me to grow my blog as if it were a fragile, gentle plant. I dedicated time to write weekly since this outlet was a way to connect with new people and build my Jaclyn Mullen Media brand.

Then I experienced a few fireworks of my own—I began to pick up additional clients and wanted to be sure to dedicate my time and energy to them. Thus began the tango with my blogger account—everyday that I intended to post, I didn’t. My blog seemed to slip further and further away from me, ideas dried up and for the first time in my life, I felt like I had nothing to say and equally, that no one cared about what I had to say which was even more devastating. Somehow, I let self-doubt and disbelief step into the place of me and they quickly hijacked my confidence. At the strong suggestion of my PPP (professional power partner), I took the most well deserved vacation in my life and slowly started to make some space to write again.

 The look of FREEDOM...let freedom ring!

For someone who has spent their whole life improvising, writing, and performing, you’d think writers block would never be an issue for me but it took many sunrises, sunsets and moments of stillness to go from writer’s block to sunblock.

Now, beachbound and recharged, I write this entry to continue and thank those of you that have offered a kind word about my blog. I thank those of you that have shared it with your friends or those of you that have found some inspiration from it.

This evening, as we watch the fireworks take over the nights sky, as we enjoy good times and great food, please remember what the foundation of our country was all about—independent thoughts, ideas and freedom. Barbecues, beaches and blogs.

As I finally post this entry and prepare to spend quality time with my family, I celebrate this Independence Day for I am living proof of the American Dream.

For those of you that have helped me get here today, God bless you! And for those of you who believe in yourself, God Bless America. Always remember:

This land is your land, this land is my land
From the Redwood Forest to the Gulf Stream waters
This land was made for you and me.



No comments:

Post a Comment