Sunday, February 27, 2011

Stylish, Spiritual, Serendipity Sunday--RIP Meg Wasley

More often than not in my life, I experience intense episodes of serendipity.

Serendipity denotes the property of making fortunate discoveries while looking for something unrelated, or the occurrence of such a discovery during such a search.

Something will happen, I'll receive a sign that reminds me there is a spiritual side to this thing we call life. Today was one of those days and as a result, I now know of the Meg Wasley Smile Foundation. 


It is my hope that after reading this blog post you will help me spread the word about the Meg Wasley Smile Foundation too. Meg Wasley was only 8 years old when she passed away this January after battling a brain tumor.

Prior to learning of Meg's life, this Sunday started off as any ordinary Sunday (sort of). I woke up fighting a cold, I ventured over to the gym to sweat and steam the cold out then I walked home while enjoying brisk, fresh air. I indulged in my daily cup of Starbucks coffee and also went to the grocery store to pick up food. After all that running around, some relaxation was necessary so I turned on the TV and tuned into the Style Network. 

There, before me on the television screen, were two little girls getting their hair and make up done. Out of curiosity, I picked up the remote and clicked to find out more about the show I was watching: Kimora: Life in the Fab Lane. The two little girls, Meg Wasley and Taal Mosely, were part of Aoki Lee Simmons (Kimora's daughter with Russell Simmons) Make A Wish Foundation Birthday party.

Meg Wasley, left. Taal Mosely, right.

Aside from the fact that I admire how Kimora Lee Simmons can laugh at herself on her show and be close knit with her kids, ex-husband and friends, I recently started watching Life in the Fab Lane more frequently because a few women that I network with in LA were on a previous episode.

It also doesn't hurt (for entertainment purposes) that through the show, Kimora likes to instill values in her girls hence the Make-A-Wish Foundation themed birthday party which Meg Wasley was featured in. The eight year old was fulfilling her dream to model and walk a runway.

Since 1980, the Make-A-Wish Foundation® "has enriched the lives of children with life-threatening medical conditions through its wish-granting work."

After a successful day of fashion and fun, the episode came to an end. The credits rolled then a slide came across the screen that read "Meg Wasley, April 11, 2002-January 10, 2011." I froze while 1,000 thoughts ran through my mind.

After a serious moment of silence, I decided the best thing I could do was to find out more about Meg and spread the word. What was her story? She battled with a brain tumor, she had an older brother. Meg lived in North Carolina and was an adopted member of the Duke Women's Lacrosse Team. Eight years....in eight years, she managed to smile, to enjoy the precious moments of life and to go for her dreams. In one year, her life changed. After a diagnosis and time spent in and out of treatment, she passed away.

And so I pondered, how could we continue to carry Meg Wasley's legacy on?

I quickly hit the Internet and came across Meg Wasley's CaringBridge site  which provides various ways to honor her life. One opportunity is approaching. The Meg Wasley Smile Foundation will be participating in Duathlon (running/biking/running race) to be held on Saturday April 9th at 8:30 at Womble Park in Holly Springs, NC.

But if you're not in North Carolina, don't worry. The site also features alternative events and causes which will honor Meg Wasley, visit http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/megwasley/journal/2 for more details.

Today wasn't any ordinary Sunday; it was stylish, it was spiritual. It reminded me that no one is promised tomorrow; to make the most of every moment, to appreciate health.

I was also reminded that should serendipity provide you with the opportunity to carry on someone's legacy, do it. Please help me. Share Meg's story. Blog about it, Tweet about it. Be about it.

RIP Meg Wasley. "Another princess has earned her wings."

4 comments:

  1. what you are doing is very good, i had a sister who died of that too. Rest in peace Meg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree what you guys are doing is awesome my brother died of that too i didnt know i had a brother until i found a picture of him and i asked my mom and she told me so

      Delete
  2. that poor little thing... she only lived up to eight years, she must've been through a lot. what you are doing is truly wonderful, in honor of her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been searching to find a comfort or effective procedure to complete this process and I think this is the most suitable way to do it effectively. Acim blog

    ReplyDelete